incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] [UPDATE] CeltiXfire Project Proposal
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 02:20:59 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
> > But are you also saying that we expect him to:
> > no longer post insults regarding any topic on bileblog, or
> > no longer post insults regarding any Apache project on bileblog, or
> > no longer post insults regarding any Apache committer on bileblog, or
> > something else?

> What part of Noel's post is not clear to you?  On list, on their blog,
> in the trade rags, wherever... none of that bears any distinction.

Please look again at Craig's questions.  He was asking about what, not where.  And the reply
is that personal attacks are what we are discussing.

I was not surprised to read that the pushback over personal attacks on bileblog was shocking
and unexpected.  Consider how people learn social skills.  It is the responsibility of the
community to provide corrective feedback on one's behavior.    The sheer scale of the Internet
population, combined with a human tendency to self-organize into cliques, almost ensures that
anyone can attract followers to provide inappropriate positive feedback, leading the antagonist
to a false sense of justification and entitlement.  You can observe the same behavior on any
playground.

It is a bit harsh to blame someone who has never been taught any better by the community.
 To date, the issue has been remote enough that many would ignore the diatribes, or write
them off as vaguely amusing tantrums.  Some would be highly offended, and a few would bother
to look for the signal embedded in the noise.  But when one tries to become an active participant
in a community, the dynamic changes, and so must one's interactions with others.  My point
to Mladen, and I believe the point that Jim and others have made, too, is that this is a normal
social process that can benefit both the community and the individual.

	--- Noel