incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: piling on
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:34:44 GMT

On Jul 19, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> On 7/19/06, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> +1.
>>
>> As a member of an incubating project I totally agree with this.
>>
>> What I didn't know is that there was a policy that allowed anyone to
>> just declare themselves committers without consensus of the existing
>> project participants?
>
> I don't believe there's actually a policy that actively allows it, but
> I have seen it happen with several projects, and it certainly seemed
> odd to me.
>
> -garrett

Ah, ok. Probably makes sense to mention in the incubator docs [1]
that new committers are to be voted in following the normal Apache
procedures.

I am +0 to extend this policy to the mentors as well. From Cayenne
experience I don't recall a mentor ever having to commit code *as a
mentor*. Although we have a mentor who was already a committer, but
that's a totally different story.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/committer.html

Andrus