incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Wicket
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:26:55 GMT
Hi Igor,

On Jul 30, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> one issue that we are forgetting here and that needs to be
> mentioned is that
> wicket 2.0 requires jdk5 while 1.x is jdk1.4. so im not sure how
> viable of
> an option it is to freeze the featureset of 1.3 and only add
> bugfixes. a
> good chunk of our community cannot migrate to jdk5 and we have
> promised to
> support them not only with bugfixes but with an evolving featureset
> for at
> least a good while.

Good point - so maybe follow the advice from Niclas and incubate 1.3
as well. Seems like you are in a good position to do that. I don't
see it being released yet through SourceForge at all, so changing all
package names to Apache is a fair game.

> also keeping things completely separate ( issue tracking, svn,
> mailing list
> ) will add a significant overhead to our administration.

BTW, in Cayenne we migrated the entire repository to Apache SVN, with
all past release history. Same for the mailing lists - just keep a
single set in the incubator. The only piece that will be handled
differently is packaging and distributing a release (SourceForge for
un-incubated stuff; Apache - for the rest). This way you won't
fracture the community and reduce the maintenance work.

> we are already stretched thin by supporting two versions, this will
> just add pain for us
> not to mention that some issues that are discussed are relevant to the
> development of both 1.x and 2.0 branches.

That's understandable, and yet another reason to consolidate as much
as possible.

Andrus