incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:05:52 GMT
Hi Carl
This sounds like a great proposal.
I just have a couple of questions.

On 18/07/2006, at 5:10 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> == RATIONALE ==
> Blaze provides multiple language implementations of the Advanced
> Messaged Queuing Protocol (AMQP) specification and related
> technologies including PGM, transaction management, queuing,
> distribution, security, management and heterogeneous multi-platform
> support for messaging (links to these specifications are in the
> "Initial Source" section of this proposal.) Blaze’s overall goal is
> to create an open and interoperable implementation for messaging
> which implements the emerging AMQP specification, in keeping with
> the philosophy of the Foundation. This implementation will provide
> a messaging solution that will be language and platform agnostic by
> using a well defined wire specification. Providing both libraries
> for the framing and protocol in addition to brokers in both Java
> and C/C++ allows for integration with Apache and non-Apache
> projects in a manner that facilitates heterogeneous deployment with
> full interoperability for SOA & distributed systems.
> The seed code for the project will consist of in-progress C/C++ and
> Java implementations of the AMQP specification that we intend to
> continue development on in conjunction with other Apache
> communities. More information on the scope of the seed code can be
> found in subsequent sections of this proposal.

i'm a bit clueless here.
what exactly is blaze.
is it a reference implementation of AMQP
or a server which uses AMQP to communicate?
is the server multiple language
are there any other products out there which use AMQP?

>  === Alignment: ===
> An initial implementation has been written in Java and C++, which
> will be refactored into this project to form the initial code
> base.  We have had a few exploratory conversations about
> integration with individuals of other communties such as Apache
> Geronimo, Tuscany,  ActiveMQ, Fedora and ObjectWeb's Celtix and
> hope to work towards future collaboration with these communities.

color me confused here.
isn't Active MQ an alternative to Blaze/AMQP ?
If this project was accepted would Apache have *2* different
messaging servers? which use different protocols ?

> As Blaze’s broad goal is to create a standardized, widely
> available, and  interoperable messaging solution based on the AMQP
> protocol, there are numerous potential collaboration opportunities
> with many other Apache projects including: * Transport support for
> Geronimo * Interoperability integration with ActiveMQ(JMS)

if blaze's goal is to create a standardized widely available and
interoperable messaging solution (you forgot enterprise class) why is
it creating a new one, and not using JMS ?

Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net
http://economychat.com discussion on the economy and economics in
general