incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Acceptance Vote Duration? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:21:36 GMT
On Jul 11, 2006, at 7:02 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:50:44PM +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> On 7/10/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On 7/10/06, Ted Leung <twleung@sauria.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> In keeping with Apache practice, I'd like to allow 72 hours or so for
>>>
>>> (this duration seems just a little bit on the short side to me:
>>> it's good
>>> to give everyone a chance to cast a vote. not sure whether there's a
>>> consensus about the right duration for these votes. but it's
>>> probably best
>>> to kick off something on another thread rather than disrupt this
>>> vote...)
>>
>> is 72 hours the right length for an acceptance vote?
>
> I expect that is a difficult question :-)
>
> I've personally always been annoyed with these kinds of limits. I
> just don't
> like how it puts some sort of "pressure" on volunteers. OTOH, when
> there has
> been plenty of discussion/soul searching beforehand and the vote is
> just a
> formalisation of a pre-existing consensus 72 hours is plenty.
> Harmony has grown
> into "72 hours or until all with a binding vote have cast theirs,
> or longer if
> someone asks for an extension" and its a suitable comprimise there.
> Over at this
> other project that is now dead at some point we made it "1 week"
> for everything
> to avoid things getting pushed through over an independence day
> weekend (for
> example).

In this case, we had several weeks of discussion on Heraldry,
including some F2F
conversations at ApacheCon EU, so 72 hours doesn't seem like a big
deal to me.
If people want to extend the voting period, I've no problem with
that.   I guess the bigger
question is whether we ought to change the 72 hour guideline for the
foundation as a whole, or
make incuabator votes a clearly noted exception.

Ted