incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:12:04 GMT
On Jul 29, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> Does anyone have any further concerns about this proposal?

<snip />

> - There was also the question about how the AMQP specification will be
> handled and licensed.  I started this thread with my feelings about
> that aspect (short version: it looks better than some other currently
> incubating projects, but I'd like us to come up with guidelines about
> what is acceptable at Apache, and then make sure this project adheres
> to those guidelines before graduating from the incubator).

I am still uncomfortable with the AMQP spec ownership and process for
two reasons.

1) The pessimistic and defensive one: Entering incubation at Apache
implies Apache's endorsement. This is not what we mean, but it is how
the world will react. This endorsement is partly the point of the
proposal -- getting the ASF behind AMQP will give it a boost, and
incubation is still not well understood, even inside the ASF :-(

2) The "go conquer the world" one: If the goal is to create a
standard protocol for messaging stuff, this requires a lot of buy in
from a wide range of parties. Keeping the protocol behind closed
doors and with a mysterious future sabotages this. Transparency is, I
believe, a major requirement for accomplishing this goal, and the
process is anything but transparent at the moment.

Both of these points would be lightened if the folks presently
involved with the specification process seemed to recognize them as
issues. To my reading, they are not recognized as issues, and there
has been no public discussion by the folks actually involved with the
protocol spec about this. The extent of it has been to say, more or
less, that they doesn't think there is a problem. Lots of uninvolved
people have chimed in with thoughts, but we (as I am one) are the
peanut gallery and have no say in the current specification system.

Finally, is the specification forkable if it becomes an
insurmountable problem?

If I weren't already committed to other incubating projects I would
offer to help mentor as I really want this to succeed, meaning AMQP
to become a de facto standard and the Apache implementations to be
the best. Hope folk don't mind if I do stick in thoughts at least :-)

-Brian

ps: Tuscany being even more closed is not a justification for this
getting it wrong. Tuscany's spec relationship is, in my opinion, a
mistake, and one we have, hopefully, learned from.