incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:26:16 GMT
Comments in line:

On Jul 17, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> == Interactions with the specifications ==
> The specification is being developed by group of companies, under a
> contract that requires the resulting work to be published to a
> standards body.

Which standards body? What licensing terms apply to the spec?

> This model has been chosen to assure that anyone that contributes
> to the specification grants a copyright and patient license to all
> contributions made to the specification on every publication (draft
> or final). This ensures that the specification will always be open
> and implementable by anyone without royalties or commercial
> limitations. We feel that this is a very strong model for keeping
> this work entirely open and will fit well with the Apache project
> enabling innovations to pass in both directions across the extended
> community.

What are the actual spec licensing terms?

> Dealing with feedback from the Blaze project to specifications
> It is key that the best implementation and specifications be
> created based on technical merit and practicalities for adoption by
> both the parties developing the specification and the committers
> within the Apache community. Given this, one of the important
> aspects is how issues discovered during the development of this
> implementation are incorporated back into the specifications.  The
> following feedback loop exists to ensure that any specification
> input incuding the Blaze community can have their feedback
> incorporated into the specifications.

> === MECHANISMS FOR FEEDBACK ===

> b.) In the same spirit of Apache, if an individual has shown
> understanding of the project and substantive contribution to the
> specification, a vote based on technical merit and understanding of
> the goals of the work can be initiated to have that parties
> Employer join the specification working group. On such acceptance
> the employer is required to sign an agreement to make sure that
> employer also grants the ongoing and consistent licenses to the
> work as posted in specifications.

Can individuals be a part of the specification group? Are the
activities, decision making, and communications of the specification
group open for observation by everybody? Can non-profits (such as
Apache) join this specification group?

-Brian