incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Maven 2 repo for incubating project releases?
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:24:28 GMT
On Jul 29, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> AIUI, the concern raised by Noel was that Maven never indicates the
> artifact version number.  Therefore, even if it had 'incubating' in
> there somewhere, it wouldn't matter as no one would know it was under
> incubation.

I guess I am with Jukka on that. From my limited Maven experience
(correct me if I am wrong), Maven 2 is very explicit about versions.
You have to specify it at least in the parent POM of the project:

<dependency>
	<groupId>abc</groupId>
	<artifactId>xyz</artifactId>
	<version>1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

The only case I can think of where you don't set an explicit version
is when you get a dependency indirectly (as a dependency of another
dependency). Still the files ("artifacts") you end up downloading as
a result will have "incubating" in the file name, and the folder name
of the local repository.

In this later case if a user doesn't pay attention (s)he will not be
aware that something was downloaded from Apache at all (incubating or
otherwise); if (s)he does - "incubating" label is clearly visible.

Andrus