incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:16:56 GMT

On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> How hard is it to understand that the PMC Chair has no role (slight
>> hyperbole)?  If the PMC Chair is a visible role, the community is
>> already in
>> trouble.  The only role that a PMC Chair normally fills is getting
>> the
>> quarterly report filed.  And this is why I feel strongly that we are
>> discussing the wrong thing to do.
>
> I don't know that I agree completely with you about the role of PMC
> Chairs - sometimes a good PMC chair helps a project quite a bit....
>
>> Projects should not be trained to rely upon an individual; they
>> should be trained to act collaboratively.

Who can't agree with that statement.  But we're not debating that and
it's true regardless of who is the PMC Chair.

> This is a very convincing argument to me, especially since people
> without open source experience are already trained to look for
> who's in charge.

It's just not a useful argument for one way or the other.  One could
just as easily assert that a new group of individuals with no
experience in the ASF would view an ASF appointed PMC Chair as an
authority figure, especially when this person would know so much more
about the organization than they do.

In the ASF we do have PMC Chairs, period.

Now let's say, someone wins this debate on wether or not  having a
PMC Chair from inside or outside the project is more or less likely
to result in dependence.  I'm not of the opinion that we shouldn't be
removing temptations or confusing dualities of the ASF while projects
are in the incubator only for these projects to struggle with them
after graduation.

Projects in the Incubator should be encouraged to try and *fail* over
and over again till they get it.

-David