incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Wicket
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:24:59 GMT
Hi Martijn,

My email is spotty for some reason; I haven't seen much feedback for
you on the alias. Here's my take:

On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:04 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> Can we take the code in the Apache incubator svn, build a release, and
> release it on sf.net (our previous host) without branding it as
> apache?

"Backporting" the changes to sf.net doesn't appear to me to be an
issue, since the Apache license is very permissive.

> Does this need to go through the PMC as well?

As a matter of communication, the Incubator alias should be made
aware of this activity (your message performs this function), as the
state of the code is a factor in determining the health of the
incubating project. You're basically taking patches from Apache and
applying them to another code base, which doesn't appear to violate
any Apache rules.

> Especially our 1.2/1.3 product versions will probably need some form
> of support, and I think that during our incubation, we will need to
> make a Wicket 1.2.3 release available. Depending on the speed of our
> incubation, Wicket 1.3 will see the light as well before graduation.
> Mainly our concerns are how to proceed with those releases: bug fix
> releases and new minor releases.

I think this is a pretty common requirement. While building a
community in Apache, you don't want to disenfranchise your current
community, and it makes sense to build a few last maintenance
releases in the existing repository as you repackage, rebrand, and
break compatibility. Your existing community presumably knows your
plans and you will encourage them to migrate (on their own schedule)
to the Apache version which will in future receive most of the
community's attention.

Bottom line, my understanding is there's nothing wrong with
continuing to service your existing community on sf.net as you build
community in Apache.

Craig

Craig Russell
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo