incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:43:02 GMT
Carl

I think some of the team have a good point on the IP and licensing
issues. One issue that is very frustrating from an Apache perspective
is if there are some committers involved in the spec process, and
other committers not involved.

This is frustrating for both halves: the committers who (by dint of
which employer they work for) have access to information and knowledge
about future unpublished spec changes have to be very careful: they
might donate IP to Apache that is under NDA and they don't have the
right to use in code.

The committers who are NOT part of the spec body have the opposite
issue - they are "in the dark" which is also frustrating.

A second concern I have is to do with the patent status of this work.
I know from personal experience that there are a number of patents on
reliable messaging held by major companies such as IBM, Microsoft,
Tibco, who are not part of the AMQP effort. To what extent have the
AMQP team evaluated the spec and codebase for patent infringement?

Paul

On 7/19/06, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 July 2006 03:07, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> >
> >>  I have provided a direct link to one of the docs on our site
> >> http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/amqp/amqp_0-8_specification.pdf
> >>

> > The license is for the specification, which is far from an obvious one, so I
> > would suggest to run this via legal-discuss@apache.org.
> >
> > The main questions for me would be;
> >
> >  1. Does the specification allows ASF to develop an Apache licensed
> > implementation?
> >
> yes.
> >  2. Are there parts of the specification that must be included in any
> > distribution that limits the down-stream rights (the spec mentions that the
> > spec itself is non-transferable)?
> >
> If I understand correctly what you are asking  - no, no limitations.
>
> I will add this to be clear. anyone may copy, distribute, implement the
> spec as long as they include the license - they can
> do so in whole or any part there of
> >
> > Further,
> > Are there any TCK associated with this work that are part of the specification
> > work, and if so what are the licensing requirements at this end?
> >
> no.
>

> If we need to I will be glad to do additional follow-up with Apache
> legal on any issues that
> requires that. We spend many hours well more like months looking at the
> issues, so I am glad
> to provide information as required.
>
> Regards
> Carl.