incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graduate Synapse - was Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:11:18 GMT
Apache Synapse has an unusual history for an incubated project. While
there was a contributed codebase from Infravio, we looked at this
codebase (which was built on Axis1) and decided to re-write completely
based on Axis2. So the code we have built, the community and users we
have created have fundamentally been from scratch.

The codebase is still small in size (a 92K JAR file), but in fact we
have a lot of function and capability because we pull in code from a
number of components including Xalan, Xerces, Axis2, Sandesha, WSS4J
and others.

The result is that we think we get a lot of "bang per buck" - both
from our code, from our small group of key contributors.

However, we have no wish to force things faster than they should go,
and if the Incubator team isn't 100% happy with our status, then I
propose we back off for a couple more months and see how the community
grows during that time.

Paul

On 7/7/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Well, not to chime in "me too" but in order to get up-to-speed
> enough to cast a vote, I also looked over the archives, and
> I saw a lot of code commits but little "online" development
> as well... so it was hard to trace the commits to actual
> community discussion and debate.
>
> So I share Noel's concern.
>
> On Jul 6, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > Paul,
> >
> > Before I vote, I'd like to ask you a community related question.
> >
> > Looking at the June mail archives for Synapse (actually, I looked
> > at other
> > months as well), I see a lot of commits but very little
> > discussion.  Yes,
> > some, but not much.  More in May than in June, but a downtrend in
> > mailing
> > list traffic since last Fall.  I do see reminders regarding your
> > weekly IRC
> > chats, but am concerned that your weekly IRC discussions are
> > leading to
> > development, and discussion on IRC the following week, but not to
> > discussion
> > on the mailing list.
> >
> > We have raised this as a concern regarding some other projects
> > whose mailing
> > lists are quiet, save for commits, and I consider it as a valid
> > concern with
> > respect to community building.
> >
> >       --- Noel
> >
> > ref: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-synapse-dev/