incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Don't +1 lightly (was: Re: [VOTE] Incubator PMC to approve the 3.0-M2 release of ServiceMix)
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:29:07 GMT
Actually this raises an interesting discussion about the Incubator PMC.

There is kind of a tricky role for Incubator PMC members. Because most
of us have no knowledge or affiliation with any given one of the tens
of incubator projects, we find it hard to have any say, especially
when it comes to a vote (e.g. release, graduation).

A few hardy souls (you know who you are - and thanks!!) get involved
in doing real reviews of releases or projects that they haven't got a
direct connection too, but on the whole its pretty quiet when it comes
to a vote.

On the other hand, if its only the PMC members associated with a given
project who vote, then perhaps there isn't enough oversight and
unbiased critical validation going on.

So here is a suggestion. Each incubator project could have nominated
two or three PMC members whose job is to pay attention to the project.
As opposed to a mentor - who is there to actively help, these PMC
members would be there to pay enough attention to have an input on
releases, status and graduation. They wouldn't need to be involved in
the technical aspects of the project. The focus would be on
understanding whether the project got the Apache way - votes,
releases, community. To use a trendy word - governance.

Paul

On 7/4/06, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shesh...what makes you think it was done lightly? As the rest of my post
> indicated I'd taken the time to downloaded and try out their release, even
> pointed out a problem in the readme files I'd found. And I'd looked at
> things like the notice and license files that have cased problems in other
> incubating project releases i've participated in to see how servicemix
> compared. All that takes time and I spent the time on it to say thanks for
> them spending similar time on the releases I've done.
>
>    ...ant
>
> On 7/4/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 07:08:48PM +0100, ant elder wrote:
> > > A (non-binding) +1 from me to say thanks for the Tuscany votes.
> >
> > Huh what? Exactly what semantics attach to a "+1" is always a muddy
> > discussion, but IMNSHO they really ought not be "thanks for something
> > unrelated". Its utterly confusing.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > LSD

Paul Fremantle