incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Graduate Synapse - was Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 02:10:17 GMT
On 7/6/06, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:

> I am spending many hours working through Apache processes so do you mind
> if I ask a few questions:
>
> For the graduation,
>
> a.) what are the demographics of the commiters added to the project
> in the community building and how/is this considered in graduation?
> b.) if there are committers on the project that have binding votes are
> these considered
> differently to binding votes external to the project, as I would expect
> the project votes would
> always +1 / how many binding votes are needed to graduate?

I think you may be a bit too concerned about the rules, which results
in slightly missing the point.

A project graduates from the incubator when the incubator PMC comes to
a consensus that the project has resolved any existing legal issues,
has built a sustainable community around itself, and is operating in a
way that is consistent with how successful ASF projects operate.  You
should be asking the question "what do we have to do to convince the
Incubator PMC that we have done these things", not "how many people do
we have to get to vote +1 on letting us graduate".

In most ASF projects, it is exceptionally rare to get to the point
where you're actually counting votes.  When something is contentious
enough to require that, it's a bad sign.

Just my opinion, not speaking on behalf of the Incubator PMC, etc.

-garrett