incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:49:06 GMT
On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> How hard is it to understand that the PMC Chair has no role (slight
> hyperbole)?  If the PMC Chair is a visible role, the community is
> already in
> trouble.  The only role that a PMC Chair normally fills is getting the
> quarterly report filed.  And this is why I feel strongly that we are
> discussing the wrong thing to do.

I don't know that I agree completely with you about the role of PMC
Chairs - sometimes a good PMC chair helps a project quite a bit....

> Projects should not be trained to rely upon an individual; they
> should be trained to act collaboratively.

This is a very convincing argument to me, especially since people
without open source experience are already trained to look for who's
in charge.

Count me as mulling it over some more....

Ted