incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:23:36 GMT
I like the idea.

so +1 (non-binding)

but how should that really work?

<snip>
Each incubator project could have nominated
two or three PMC members whose job is to pay attention to the project.
</snip>

How does a podling know which to nominate etc?

The need for that is there, of course. I try to do the best I can
(as committer and my "Apache background") to help on the adffaces
(trinidad) podling.

Some questions are still there.
Mostly I ask this list on it.
Thanks,
Matthias

> +1..
>
> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On 7/11/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > (And I'll note now that I'm interested in participating, although can't
> >
> >> commit the time to be a mentor right now.)
> >>

> > this seems like a good opportunity to reintroduce an existing issue (
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200607.mbox/%3c88f5d710607050529i1e49e7a3q53d2539fac0542bc@mail.gmail.com%3e)
> >
> > under a better heading :-)
> >
> > the incubator seems to be moving to favouring more mentors. this works
> > better in many ways: it gives an initial ppmc a builtin quruom and provides
> > better oversight. the role of a solo mentor has traditionally been
> > difficult
> > and has consumed a lot of energy. multiple mentors would allow wider
> > participation (without some of the current worries about mentors becoming
> > overstretched by working on too many projects).
> >
> > but this approach may lead to problems if none of the mentors actually have
> > enough consistent energy to devote to the podling.
> >
> > i've been wondering whether the answer may be to have a chair for each ppmc
> > analogous to the role of the pmc chair. the initial pmc would be
> > composed of
> > the mentors for the podling and so a chair would need to be elected from
> > within their number. at least one mentor would therefore need to commit to
> > devote the energy required to perform this role. they would also form the
> > first point of contact for the incubator pmc.
> >
> > opinions?
> >
> > - robert

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff: