incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduate Synapse - was Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:09:23 GMT
Hey Paul-

I just looked at your page [1] and saw a "DONE" before the task

<task>
If applicable, make sure that any associated name does not already
exist and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not
already trademarked for an existing software product.
</task>

I'd like to do the same for the "adffaces" incubation, which has voted
a new name (Apache Trinidad)

Thanks,
Matthias

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/synapse.html

On 7/6/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am spending many hours working through Apache processes so do you mind
> > if I ask a few questions:
> >
> > For the graduation,
> >
> > a.) what are the demographics of the commiters added to the project
> > in the community building and how/is this considered in graduation?
> > b.) if there are committers on the project that have binding votes are
> > these considered
> > differently to binding votes external to the project, as I would expect
> > the project votes would
> > always +1 / how many binding votes are needed to graduate?
>
> I think you may be a bit too concerned about the rules, which results
> in slightly missing the point.
>
> A project graduates from the incubator when the incubator PMC comes to
> a consensus that the project has resolved any existing legal issues,
> has built a sustainable community around itself, and is operating in a
> way that is consistent with how successful ASF projects operate.  You
> should be asking the question "what do we have to do to convince the
> Incubator PMC that we have done these things", not "how many people do
> we have to get to vote +1 on letting us graduate".
>
> In most ASF projects, it is exceptionally rare to get to the point
> where you're actually counting votes.  When something is contentious
> enough to require that, it's a bad sign.
>
> Just my opinion, not speaking on behalf of the Incubator PMC, etc.
>
> -garrett

Matthias Wessendorf

futher stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com