incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject trademark issue
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:43:42 GMT
Hey,

Since the name "ADF Faces" is only a temporary one, we ask our
community to vote on a name (We filtered the suggested names, because
some are already used for software products; filtering means: using
google by combining name + software).

The result was "Trinidad". So the name for the Podling is now "Apache
Trindidad".

To be save about the name and our status (see [1]) file contains the
following section, I'd like to know the *process details* on the
"trademark issue".

<snip>
Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist and
check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
trademarked for an existing software product.
</snip>

Since "www.nameprotect.com" is not free to use, we did already the following:

Our committer "Adam Winer" did a research on "Trinidad" regarding US Trademarks:
http://tinyurl.com/lebb8

and a user "Frank Felix Debatin" did the same for German Trademarks:
http://tinyurl.com/ohfds

Both came up that there are *only* Trademarks against Trinidad against
Rum, Cigar and Tobacco.

Now we don't know, is that what we've done so far is enough?

I'd like to contribute this "informations" to the incubator site,
because it is very important for others, but not sure if we are done
or almost done, and what is still missing on the *crucial* trademark
thing.

Thanks!
-Matt