incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [pre-proposal] AsyncWeb
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:19:31 GMT
On 7/12/06, peter royal <proyal@apache.org> wrote:
> I have been talking with Dave Irving who is the principal developer
> behind AsyncWeb, <http://asyncweb.safehaus.org>, an HTTP engine built
> upon MINA <http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/>, on
> bringing the project to the ASF.
>
> I've started a proposal at <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
> AsyncWebProposal>, assistance from others would be appreciated in
> helping flesh it out.
>
> I think this would be a good addition to the ASF, as there are many
> projects that can benefit from a Java-based non-blocking HTTP server,
> and I would also like to see some collaboration with the
> HttpComponents project on their HttpNIO efforts.

It almost sounds like this would be a good candidate for a software
grant instead of meriting a full incubation.  How large of a community
is around AsyncWeb?  From the proposal, it sounds just like one
committer - so as long as the IP clearance paperwork is filed, it
could go right into MINA.  See:

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

As an aside, I'm also a bit befuddled at why MINA lives in the
Directory project - that just seems a bit odd.  =)

That said, I'd be happy to join in on any efforts here (mentor,
committer, user, whatever) - even though I'm a lowly C programmer.  As
you may recall, Greg and I have written an async HTTP engine in C
called Serf (http://svn.webdav.org/repos/projects/serf/trunk/) that is
built on top of APR plus Subversion can now use it.  So, I've a little
bit (ha!) of experience with writing these types of frameworks.  I've
been wondering how the async engine would look like in Java, so this
might be a good chance to get my hands dirty there.

Good luck!  -- justin