incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:51:53 GMT

On Jul 13, 2006, at 10:49 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2006, at 7:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> In the ASF we do have PMC Chairs, period.
>> Now let's say, someone wins this debate on wether or not  having a
>> PMC Chair from inside or outside the project is more or less
>> likely to result in dependence.  I'm not of the opinion that we
>> shouldn't be removing temptations or confusing dualities of the
>> ASF while projects are in the incubator only for these projects to
>> struggle with them after graduation.
>
> Actually on the projects that I have previously mentored, we had
> PPMCs.   We did not have a PMC chair until the project graduated.
> So we are discussing whether having a chair for the PPMC is a good
> idea or not, and and my thinking on this was "it would be good
> practice".    But now I am starting to think that maybe the good
> practice that is needed is how to work without a chair or official
> leader.   If you put that person in from the start, then there is
> never an opportunity to learn that you can function without that
> person.

Ok, I see.  Hmm... going to have to think about that.

I have the gut feeling there is something we can do to marry these
concerns, as my primary concern is how the incubation ends.  I.e. I
think there should be an opportunity before incubation ends to learn
to function *with* that person and someone in the project to learn to
*be* that person.

-David