incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Irving <irvi...@logica.com>
Subject Re: [pre-proposal] AsyncWeb
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:40:04 GMT

Yoav Shapira-2 wrote:

> Hi,
> You might also want to CC Filip Hanik, fhanik@apache.org, on this
> idea.  Filip has been busily working on a NIO HTTP implementation for
> Tomcat, and has a working version.  We've seen some quirky performance
> out of it.  But that's besides the point: I think he might be
> interested in this, at least as an observer, besides having some
> practical tips and possibly code to share.
>
> Yoav

I found that the usage scenarios for an async http server tended to be
slightly different than for (say) a web app server.

My particular example was in a web services context: Web service invocations
were received over HTTP to my server, and I had to contact an external
system (independent request / response web service request) before I could
respond to the original client request. This system was an external
multimedia messaging centre - and this external response time was in the 2 -
10 second range.

In this scenario, "out and out" performance of the web server was not the
main issue in this context (each request would ultimately have at least a 2
- 10 second latency). The main issue was scalability.
In a thread per connection model (e.g. servlet model), my overall server
throughput was limited to (and proportional to) the response time of the
external system.

This (in my case) was solved by introducing an http transport which had
asynchronous response support (in my case, asyncweb).