incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven 2 repo for incubating project releases?
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:20:00 GMT
Hi,

On 7/28/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> That is, the user must actively add a Maven repository URL
> that has 'incubator' or something similar in it to understand that
> they are downloading something that is not an official project.  So, I
> don't believe we should allow any Incubating artifacts in any
> 'regular' Maven repository that the ASF has any control over.

I don't know the background of this policy, but to me it seems that
including "incubating" (or something like that) in the artifact
version number is much more visible to a user than the repository
where the artifact resides.

Usually a project that uses a non-standard repository address has the
address of that repository stored within the project configuration so
Maven will automatically download the required artifacts with no user
intervention. And after the artifact has once been downloaded, the
repository location is never used again, i.e. an incubating artifact
will look just like one downloaded from a standard repository.

On the other hand, if the incubation status is indicated in the
artifact name, it will remain visible in IDE project settings, runtime
classpaths, deployed webapps, etc.

BR,

Jukka Zitting