incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:22:27 GMT
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Here are some examples for Derby.

Derby is a relational database implemented entirely in java, which
entered the Apache Incubator in August 2004. With those points in mind ....

1) This looks like Cub Scout race management software and the most
recent date on the web site is 1998:
> www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-*software*.html

2) The entry below is game software. The dates on the downloads at
http://www.derbysoftware.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewdownload&cid=1
are 16-Apr-2006, but I don't find any clue on the website as to when the
company was formed:
> www.*derby**software*.com/

3) It looks like this is car racing and is ultimately a U.S. Scouting
Service project (http://usscouts.org/pinewood/cspdref.html), with a most
recent date on the web site of 1999:
> www.rahul.net/mcgrew/*derby*/resource.html

4) It looks like this download is a regional map covering Nottingham and
Derby, and it has a release date of 10th December, 2004:
> www.shopireland.ie/*software*/detail/184348191X/A-Z-Nottingham-&-*Derby*-/

5) The only date I can find for this Derby skydiving site is 2005:
> www.tracking*derby*.com/tdadownload.php

Of these 5 hits, the Cub Scout car racing (#1 and #3) are the ones that
pre-date Apache Derby and are the most likely to be questioned. I don't
know if they came up in the original search in the summer of 2004, but I
doubt that either would be confused with a relational database.

 -jean