incubator-general mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:47:43 GMT

Please could you post the links to the ones that concern you.

I had read Roys comment to be that there they where not used in software
in the related domain. I may have read more into the statement than I
should
have - if I did - sorry. If the measure is "use in software" then the
following
statement is incorrect "at least not within the software category" for
Apache
names without the "Apache"

Note that other Apache projects also have trademarks in the software
space, here are a
few examples from two random Apache projects

Here are some examples for Derby.

www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-*software*.html
www.*derby**software*.com/
www.rahul.net/mcgrew/*derby*/resource.html
www.shopireland.ie/*software*/detail/184348191X/A-Z-Nottingham-&-*Derby*-/
www.tracking*derby*.com/tdadownload.php

and so....

Here are some examples for Synapse
www.*synapse**software*.com
www.*synapse*.co.in/homepage/*trademarks*.shtml

My understanding is the uniqueness of the full name and the lack of use
of the name in the same domain  are the key. If needed I can take this
thread to Apache legal for comment.

Any help is appreciated, regards
Carl