incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <gordon....@virgin.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 07:57:28 GMT
IANAL, but I believe Carl has volunteered to get legal clarifications on
any points you consider nebulous. I agree with you that the terms are
well intentioned, and intention is often the critical issue. The
objective of those who were in involved in the creation of this spec
(though I am not one of them) seems quite clearly to be to create a
truly 'open' specification. As well as being open it is important the
protocol is relevant, i.e. supported. When large organisations get
together, especially in areas touching on the sensitive issue of IP,
lawyers are inevitable and there often seem to be more than one valid
interpretation of laws and contracts. The legal requirements as they
stand for joining the specification group are there to protect the
specification. Given the intention of the group behind the spec, which I
think we agree is good, I am confident that the standards body it ends
up with will be one that enhances rather than restricts its openness.

As for being meritocratic or otherwise, it seems similar to me to
Apache. The initial merit lies with those who have initiated the spec
and driven it to a first public release. To continue as a meritocracy,
they will absolutely need to listen to good advice and accept
involvement from those who prove themselves. I have personally not seen
or heard anything to suggest this would not be the case. Their processes
aren't the same as ASFs but this in itself shouldn't make an
implementation of their published specifications incompatible as an
Apache project providing such a project would violate no contracts on
either side.

The blaze project will in no way be a 'reference implementation' of
AMQP. It will merely be one (hopefully of many), open-source and freely
available implementation. I believe that this project remaining separate
from the specification, as it is, is a good thing considering the 'goal
of establishing an open standard protocol for async messaging' (which
like you I wholly support). Only when there are multiple implementations
will the openness translate into real choice, and if any one
implementation is coupled with the specification, that would seem to
create a bias.

I hope we can alleviate your concerns. As I say, I am not the right
person to discuss legal specifics with (Carl will be happy to deal with
those) but I can assure you of the good intentions and character of the
current blaze team and have for myself no concern that if accepted as an
incubated project we would conduct ourselves as anything other than an
open meritocratic community of individuals, committed to a high quality
implementation of an emerging standard, in the spirit of the ASF.