incubator-general mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:43:37 GMT
Paul Fremantle wrote:
> Carl
>
> I think some of the team have a good point on the IP and licensing
> issues. One issue that is very frustrating from an Apache perspective
> is if there are some committers involved in the spec process, and
> other committers not involved.
>
> This is frustrating for both halves: the committers who (by dint of
> which employer they work for) have access to information and knowledge
> about future unpublished spec changes have to be very careful: they
> might donate IP to Apache that is under NDA and they don't have the
> right to use in code.
The work in AMQP is not under NDA, however IPR rights are only granted
on each version of the spec as it is published. This is true for just
about all of the
standards process, so the group can deal with issues if they want. So I
don't see that it
is meaning-full to commit draft work into an OSS project, but it might
make sense for
the team at large to see updates that could help out in the project
knowing how things may
change.

I see two options:
a.) The project requests of the Working Group to review drafts
b.) Apache looks at joining the Working Group.

Both should resolve this issue.

> The committers who are NOT part of the spec body have the opposite
> issue - they are "in the dark" which is also frustrating.
covered above

> A second concern I have is to do with the patent status of this work.
> I know from personal experience that there are a number of patents on
> reliable messaging held by major companies such as IBM, Microsoft,
> Tibco, who are not part of the AMQP effort. To what extent have the
> AMQP team evaluated the spec and codebase for patent infringement?

The code is original work using common patterns that are widely used,
will cover details in the submission of the CCLA and code grant with
Apache legal.

Good questions, thanks
Carl.