incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [UPDATE] CeltiXfire Project Proposal
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:22:35 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Some would be highly offended, and a few would bother to look for the
> signal embedded in the noise.  But when one tries to become an active
> participant in a community, the dynamic changes, and so must one's
> interactions with others.  My point to Mladen, and I believe the point
> that Jim and others have made, too, is that this is a normal social
> process that can benefit both the community and the individual.>

+1; I like the way you put this all.  I had mentioned in my last post (in case
it didn't stand out)...

"they would be asked to move on if they can't come to terms with that concept."

That's key - participating in open source is evolutionary for the software,
and should be evolutionary for the participants ... Software learns new
facilities, features, optimizations.  Participants learn more coding and
architecture/design skills.  But we hope participants also learn community
skills, from the way things happen within the ASF :)

Caution is normal/expected here.  But we should also exercise some faith
that the problems identified will be resolved, if the team or individuals
we raise the problems with are willing to solve them.  After all, most all
of us are here & members of our projects or the ASF because some other
members had faith that we would make good participants.