incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <gordon....@virgin.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:04:14 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> On 7/19/06, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Ian Holsman wrote:
>> Blaze is about only AMQP, a proposed standard for interoperable
>> messaging.
>> ActiveMQ implements multiple protocols.  There is some disagreement
>> between
>> AMQP proponents and the ActiveMQ team regarding the desirability of
>> balkanizing messaging protocols.
>
> I'd maybe rephrase that a little; AMQP proponents see AMQP as 'the one
> protocol to bind them all' whereas the ActiveMQ team are pretty
> flexible on protocols, we prefer to let users decide to use whatever
> protocol makes sense for their requirements so we support several
> (REST, Ajax, XML, WS-Notififaction, Jabber (never quite finished that
> one), Stomp, OpenWire) and hopefully one day AMQP too.

Responding here as an individual, rather than on behalf of all AMQP
proponents (and I don't think I would describe myself with that label!),
I certainly don't see AMQP as the one protocol to bind them all. I agree
with you entirely that the protocol should be selected based on the
needs of the system being built. AMQP aims to add a protocol designed
for message-oriented-middleware to the set from which that choice can be
made, where currently all too often it is a product that dictates the
protocol.

It is useful to hide various protocols behind a common API, but it is
also useful to be able to implement various APIs using a common
protocol. Both approaches give the user more freedom in their choice and
more options for integration and interoperability.