incubator-general mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:07:57 GMT

Thanks for the comments - I will be brief and then we can have follow up
exchange as required. comments in-line.

Brian McCallister wrote:
> Comments in line:
>
> On Jul 17, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>> == Interactions with the specifications ==
>> The specification is being developed by group of companies, under a
>> contract that requires the resulting work to be published to a
>> standards body.
>
> Which standards body? What licensing terms apply to the spec?

The body has not been selected yet, this will be decided by the group
working on the Spec. It will be one of the common suspects. This
group is set up very similar to Tuscany / SCA setup with some key
differences which I will highlight a few in the other answers.

>> This model has been chosen to assure that anyone that contributes to
>> the specification grants a copyright and patient license to all
>> contributions made to the specification on every publication (draft
>> or final). This ensures that the specification will always be open
>> and implementable by anyone without royalties or commercial
>> limitations. We feel that this is a very strong model for keeping
>> this work entirely open and will fit well with the Apache project
>> enabling innovations to pass in both directions across the extended
>> community.
>
> What are the actual spec licensing terms?
Each version of the spec that is published is fully licensed. The
license is in the top if the specification located at all of the URL's
provide. I have provided a direct link to one of the docs on our site
http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/amqp/amqp_0-8_specification.pdf

Here is the basic cut from the doc:

JPMorgan Chase & Co., Cisco Systems, Inc., Envoy Technologies Inc.,
iMatix Corporation, IONA Technologies, Red Hat, Inc., TWIST Process
Innovations, and 29West (collectively, the "Authors") each hereby grants
to you a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, nontransferable,
nonexclusive license to (i) copy, display, and implement the Advanced
Messaging Queue Protocol ("AMQP") Specification and (ii) the Licensed
Claims that are held by the Authors, all for the purpose of implementing
the Advanced Messaging Queue Protocol Specification. Your license and
any rights under this Agreement will terminate immediately without
notice from any Author if you bring any claim, suit, demand, or action
related to the Advanced Messaging Queue Protocol Specification against
any Author. Upon termination, you shall destroy all copies of the
Advanced Messaging Queue Protocol Specification in your possession or
control.

>> Dealing with feedback from the Blaze project to specifications
>> It is key that the best implementation and specifications be created
>> based on technical merit and practicalities for adoption by both the
>> parties developing the specification and the committers within the
>> Apache community. Given this, one of the important aspects is how
>> issues discovered during the development of this implementation are
>> incorporated back into the specifications. The following feedback
>> loop exists to ensure that any specification input incuding the Blaze
>> community can have their feedback incorporated into the specifications.
>

>> === MECHANISMS FOR FEEDBACK ===
>
>> b.) In the same spirit of Apache, if an individual has shown
>> understanding of the project and substantive contribution to the
>> specification, a vote based on technical merit and understanding of
>> the goals of the work can be initiated to have that parties Employer
>> join the specification working group. On such acceptance the employer
>> is required to sign an agreement to make sure that employer also
>> grants the ongoing and consistent licenses to the work as posted in
>> specifications.
>
> Can individuals be a part of the specification group?
Individuals can be reviewers, but to be get to what would be equivalent
of an Apache committer the employer needs to join as IP
grants are then required by the employer. think of it as a system to
guarantee a spec that can be royalty free once published
to implement.

> Are the activities, decision making, and communications of the
> specification group open for observation by everybody?

The members of the group are entirely free to collectively chose how
they communicate on the specification. Currently they
are done on a portal.

> Can non-profits (such as Apache) join this specification group?

Yes, that would be great.