incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [pre-proposal] AsyncWeb
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:19:32 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> On 7/12/06, peter royal <proyal@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I have been talking with Dave Irving who is the principal developer
>>> behind AsyncWeb, <http://asyncweb.safehaus.org>, an HTTP engine built
>>> upon MINA <http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/>, on
>>> bringing the project to the ASF.
>>>
>>> I've started a proposal at <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
>>> AsyncWebProposal>, assistance from others would be appreciated in
>>> helping flesh it out.
>>>
>>> I think this would be a good addition to the ASF, as there are many
>>> projects that can benefit from a Java-based non-blocking HTTP server,
>>> and I would also like to see some collaboration with the
>>> HttpComponents project on their HttpNIO efforts.
>>
>> It almost sounds like this would be a good candidate for a software
>> grant instead of meriting a full incubation.  How large of a community
>> is around AsyncWeb?  From the proposal, it sounds just like one
>> committer - so as long as the IP clearance paperwork is filed, it
>> could go right into MINA.  See:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>>

> I know that a few ApacheDS guys have also done some
> work on it as well.

Right it's mostly Dave Irving of course, Trustin Lee, Dan Diephouse, and
myself on it.  So there is community around it but it overlaps.

>> As an aside, I'm also a bit befuddled at why MINA lives in the
>> Directory project - that just seems a bit odd.  =)
>>

> MINA is expected to propose a move to TLP soon... MINA
> started off as a framework for ApacheDS and has grown into
> its own very cool codebase.

MINA had an interesting history.  It's basically a combination of
Trustin's older Netty2 and concepts we were working on here at Directory
when experimenting with SEDA and the notion of protocol codecs.

ApacheDS is a bit of a misnomer since it supports more than just LDAP
with a bunch of plugable protocols like Kerberos and DNS that all back
their data within the LDAP directory.  As you can see we quickly needed
a framework that could support all these needs.

Alex