incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:25:32 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> This was addressed by the board a few months ago, where we
> admitted that having several Mentors could make sense, but
> that there needed to be one Mentor which was tasked with
> the position of being the, for lack of a better term,
> primary mentor. This was relayed to the Incubator PMC.

Right.  PPMC's are subcommittees.  It's up to the Incubator PMC to
determine how subcommittees under that umbrella are organized.

I think it's silly to insist that the PPMC chair is a PMC member;
although I can appreciate why, in many cases, it will start that way.
But the idea would be to provide the PPMC members the mentoring in both
how-we-do-code, and how-we-manage-projects.  Letting one of the more
management/detail oriented original participants 'drive', in the sense
of an ASF project chair, makes alot of sense.  They are replaceable (and
the Incubator PMC would vote to accept the suggested replacement or find
one, if none is suggested) and actively mentored (something that doesn't
happen once the project's graduated.)

If Incubator is training wheels for a full blown ASF project, then we
should be teaching them to ride the 'pmc chair' bicycle as well?

Bill