incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:49:38 GMT

On Jul 13, 2006, at 7:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> In the ASF we do have PMC Chairs, period.
> Now let's say, someone wins this debate on wether or not  having a
> PMC Chair from inside or outside the project is more or less likely
> to result in dependence.  I'm not of the opinion that we shouldn't
> be removing temptations or confusing dualities of the ASF while
> projects are in the incubator only for these projects to struggle
> with them after graduation.

Actually on the projects that I have previously mentored, we had
PPMCs.   We did not have a PMC chair until the project graduated.
So we are discussing whether having a chair for the PPMC is a good
idea or not, and and my thinking on this was "it would be good
practice".    But now I am starting to think that maybe the good
practice that is needed is how to work without a chair or official
leader.   If you put that person in from the start, then there is
never an opportunity to learn that you can function without that person.

Ted