incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:10:45 GMT
Hi Carl,

On Jul 24, 2006, at 10:40 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> The synapse ones are clearly software though... At this point I am
> not trying
> to argue to use or non-use of a name. Just understand how does
> Apache deals with this.

The way Apache "deals with this" is that you get advice from lots of
people who have been through a lot of the issues you're going
through, and some of the advice is spot on and some is less valuable,
and it's up to the project to decide what to do. Once it decides, if
the decision is contentious, there is a vote, and many of the people
who gave you advice get to vote.

What I've seen here is several comments that in summary say "It looks
to me like Blaze is a problematic name for a Web project". It's now
up to you (the project) to decide whether to ignore that advice and
push through the name, or take the advice and come up with a
different name.

If you ignore the advice, you will probably need to write up why you
think the other Blaze trademark holders in the world will ignore the
Apache project. And you might ask for a formal review and legal
opinion on legal-discuss@a.o. But since many of the people who have
complained are actually in a voting position to block the proposal,
and people hate to waste time on escalation of issues, I'd advise you
to carefully consider whether you want to try to continue with the
problematic name.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com