incubator-general mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject [HttpNIO] MINA and AsyncWeb
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:48:05 GMT
howdy!

I'm writing to see if there is interest in collaborating in a larger
effort to develop HTTP code that utilizes NIO.

MINA <http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/> is a framework
here at the ASF for developing clients and servers based on NIO.
There is also the AsyncWeb <http://asyncweb.safehaus.org/> project
that builds on top of MINA to create an HTTP server (not Servlet based).

AsyncWeb will likely be proposed for incubation shortly, and I wanted
to see if there was interest from this community on some of the
common parts between a HTTP client and server implementation.

MINA already has the nitty-gritty details of NIO worked out, so its
just a matter of building protocols on top of it. MINA's architecture
then makes it possible to share code on both the client and server
sides. (MINA has the notion of a filter-chain that processes data
read from the socket, and thus common protocol-level items can be
implemented as a filter and then re-used on both a client and server).

I know that the HttpClient project has done extensive work on fully
supporting the HTTP protocol, so pairing that expertise with an
existing IO layer would be beneficial for all, I hope. (thus freeing
this project from having to maintain the lower IO layer, and allowing
concentration on protocol-level details). This would also mesh well
with the HttpComponents charter, since it would provide an
implementation of a full server that would (hopefully!) utilize your
NIO-based components.

I've cc'ed general@incubator.a.o, as its a common spot for people
that have this shared interest to discuss.

thanks!

-pete