incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] CeltiXfire Project
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:42:21 GMT

On Jul 3, 2006, at 6:45 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I have to agree that if an existing code base is migrated to
> Apache, it should not mean that all maintenance ceases on the
> existing code. There are good reasons for projects dependent on the
> existing code base to be able to stay on it and not move to the
> Apache line just because that's where the new feature development
> is being done.
>
> I'd expect that new feature development is done only on the Apache
> line, though I don't know how Apache can require that...

The Incubator needs to know what the future intent of the external
projects will be as part of its consideration on whether or
not to accept the project. If the intent of both XFire or Celtix
(or either one) is to create this merged project, yet at the
same time NOT to discontinue the external projects, then
this should be openly stated, since it will have a bearing
on the Incubator vote. Otherwise we run into a situation where
an "ASF Project" is actually being developed external to
the ASF (by the parallel projects) and we get a very large
divergent fork. It's a matter of *committment* to the actual
ASF project.