incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: piling on
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:22:13 GMT
On Jul 20, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 15:00 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> I think so -- an unwelcome mentor is a waste of everyone's time.
>>
>> I also think mentors need commit access, since I don't believe it is
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is the documented practice; see
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
> Roles_and_Responsibilities.html:
>
> "The candidate shall declare an initial set of committers. On
> acceptance
> of a candidate project, the assigned Mentor shall be given access
> to the
> Podling's cvs repository for the duration of the incubation process.
> This is to allow the Mentor to perform their incubation duties, and is
> for administrative purposes only. To be given full committer
> privileges,
> such as the right to add new code to the repository, the Mentor must
> earn them as would any other potential new committer. In some
> cases, the
> Mentor may be part of the initial set of declared committers, but this
> is not a requirement of the Incubation process."
>
> However, note the emphasis on "administrative purposes" .. you seem to
> indicate more access than that:

No, I didn't.  I indicated that the mentor needs to help do the work.
Administrative work is a huge part of getting a project going.  I
include
in that things like setting up accounts, helping infrastructure, making
accurate infra requests, following up with root responses, setting up
subversion directories, and developing a process for publishing a
website.

....Roy