incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <>
Subject Standards Documentation [WAS Re: [PROPOSAL] Heraldry Identity Project]
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:46:36 GMT
On 6/30/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On 6/30/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > One thing that bothers me is that there is a very small handful of ASF
> >> people
> >> (committers and members) participating in standards efforts.
> >
> > perhaps one way to reduce the friction would be for somene to add a FAQ
> > somewhere in the apache documentation about the right way to go about
> this.
> Better yet, to explain in in general with
> some
> pages on related implementations of RFC's, JSR's etc etc ad nasum.  If
> each
> body, JSCs, IATA wgs, W3C wgs each were given a page with 'standards
> implemented by project', and 'standards reference implementations', and
> finally
> several paragraphs with pointers to the relevant information about
> participating
> in that standards body, that would really rock.

pages tend to be collected within directories so probably would be a better location but sounds

knowing which projects are (reference) implementations of which standards is
an issue we need to address more generally probably by using DOAP and

And I have two days of my life free between now and September :(  But I'd
> sure
> try to accomplish the draft IETF page and get the right people to write
> the
> right descriptions and provide FAQ pointers, while I'd work to collect
> what the
> relation of IETF standards are to our projects.  Once that's done, that's
> about
> all I can commit to.

sounds good

hopefully the relationships could be entered in the DOAPs which the projects
maintain for the future.

But if others would jump on the relevant W3C and JSR pages and begin
> collecting
> that in a 'big way' on our foundation site, this could be very interesting
> and
> informative for our contributor and user communities.

any volunteers want to jump and grab one?

- robert