incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project templates
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:42:07 GMT
On 6/3/06, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> >> I have no argument with someone providing such a template, but I would
> >> strongly object to any implication that Maven was mandated.  We are not
> >> going to endorse Maven as the official build tool for ASF Java
> projects.
> >

> >> Sure, and an Ant project shell can do all of that, too, probably
> sharing
> >> most of the same artifacts as the Maven project shell.
> >

> > +1. I agree that both Ant and Maven, and if someone was willing to
> > contribute, maybe a Makefile too :-)
>
> I too think that whatever template should be compatible with Makefile too.

one of the general issues which i find keeps cropping up when trying to
document is that the ASF tries to keep any rules minimal (to reduce
friction). but there's a big gulf between the minimal requirements and good
practice.

projects need to have freedom to do it their way but quite a lot of
reasonably good practice has been assembled by painful experience over the
years and in many areas podlings would be well advised to consider adopting
these practices.

guidelines need to be descriptive rather than prescriptive or normative.

IMHO templates need to describe reasonable approaches using maven, ant,
make, nant or whatever rather than endorsing or recommending any particular
approach.

anyone feel like contributing a template or two?

- robert