incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incubator PMC to approve ActiveMQ 4.0 Release (new binary)
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:18:47 GMT

> Hi Robert,
>
> The incubator-activemq-4.0.jar is an uber jar that is built by
> aggregating the activemq broker, client and a few dependency jars like
> derby.  I think derby is where IBM reference comes from and also
> explains the multiple copies of the same file thing (different jars
> were using different naming conventions).  This uber jar is helpful
> for folks who want to get started with a small footprint client and
> and server with minimum fuss about finding out what dependencies need
> to be included in the application classpath.

thought it must be something like that and i don't disagree about the
utility of an uber jar :-)

would this jar be pubilcally released as an independent artifact?

if so, then it might not be sufficient just to aggregate the contents of the
various jars and hope for the best. all the various LICENSEs need to be
appended into a single LICENSE and the notices consolidated. hopefully
someone who understands this area better than me will jump in here with more
normative comments. otherwise, we might need to raise this on legal-discuss.

if not, then i'd be willing to +1 but would recommend that for future
releases a README is added to the uber jar. this should stop users with
legal questions pestering your list (or legal-discuss).

 - robert