incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release votes
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:27:47 GMT
On 6/4/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 10:17:46AM -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Leo Simons wrote:
> > > Let's write a piece of software to do the auditing for us.
> >
> > How do you propose to do this?  How do you propose to audit the code and
> > know which pieces of code require which license and whether or not that
> > license is conforming, and properly documented?  Not saying that this
> can't
> > be done, but am asking how you propose to do it.
>
> Hadn't thought about it a whole lot yet. I figured the question was coming
> so
> I typed up some random things on the train...not sure whether it makes
> sense
> but I'm confident it can be done.

+1

IMO we're going to need something like this for all releases pretty soon. we
need to have a way to enforce minimum policies (just simple stuff like
checksums, signatures, LICENSE and NOTICE files). one way would be using a
subversion repository for releases and running a pre-commit quality script.

it's not a replacement for the human element. we're still going to need to
trust pmc's to do the right thing. but it might reduce the energy required
to get a release to a state where it's fit to release.

- robert