incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release votes (was: [VOTE] Incubator PMC to approve ActiveMQ 4.0 Release)
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:50:54 GMT
On 6/2/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:

> (this is a rant and the beginnings of a proposal which has nothing to do
> in particular with James, ActiveMQ, or its release)

<snip>

There must be. All these little rules and policies and practices (written
> or unwritten) seem like they could be somehow codified. Lets do so.

codification is on my ApacheCon TODO list

Let's write a piece of software to do the auditing for us. Let's write it
> in java as a commandline tool spitting out a choice of text-based or
> XML-based reports. Let's wrap the tool in an ant task, and in a maven2
> plugin. People and projects can start using the tool without us changing
> any of the process, and once it works well enough these kinds of
> "permission
> emails" will all become the pure formalities they should be ("please
> approve
> that you trust that I used the tool correctly and that the tool can also
> be
> trusted, btw here is the output"), and we can even start thinking about
> changing this @#$^&% process!
>
> Questions:
>
>   * anyone think it can't work? Anyone think its a good idea?

IMO there are two distinct and separate issues here:

1 the major issue we have with release distribution oversight not scaling as
the ASF scales. it's not just podlings that we need to worry about - it's
every project. i agree that this needs an automated solution. i've been
wondering about using SVN as a staging ground and with clever pre and post
commit scripts. probably need to move this to infrastructure or wait till
ApacheCon...

2 the social aspect (pmc ping) - i think that jim's covered this reasonably
well.

>   * where's the sandbox where we can work on this thing together?
>     (I'm quite willing to mentor a new incubation podling :-))
>   * who is willing to spend a day of their ApacheCon EU hackathon working
> on
>     this?

i'll be around and planned to work on incubator related codification and
documentation.

- robert