incubator-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] CeltiXfire Project
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:30:18 GMT
On 6/21/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <> wrote:
> In any case, the framework part seems just like what JBI impls like
> ServiceMix are doing and what JBI alternates like SCA (Tuscany) are
> doing. Since James is a mentor of this maybe he can explain the
> relationship (or lack thereof) between Celtixfire and ServiceMix.

If I thought CeltixFire was doing the same thing as ServiceMix I'd not
be mentoring this effort and would recommend everyone just join the
ServiceMix project :)

The SOA space is complex and its hard for folks to get their heads
around it all as there's lots of moving parts.

ServiceMix is aimed at implementating the JBI (JSR 208) standard which
is an ESB container and component suite. An ESB works with lots of
different transports & protocols (JMS, email, Atom, jabber etc) but
has no specific dependency on SOAP/JAX-WS - though it does use WSDL

CeltixFire is aimed at implementing the JAX-WS/JAX-WSA/JSR-181
standards which are the newer standards for working with SOAP &
WS-Addressing on the Java platform

Tuscany implements the SCA standard that is being defined; which is
kinda orthogonal to all of these things; its essentially a
cross-language programming model for writing and consuming services
and typically has no direct dependency on SOAP, WSDL or ESBs - but
which can integrate with them.

So all these 3 projects have clear goals and different specifications
that they implement - they also complement each other nicely and can
be used in different permutations (e.g. you can deploy SCA components
inside ServiceMix in a binding component; ditto for CeltixFire - or
you can use just CeltixFire and Tuscany together without requiring an
ESB etc)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message