incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Incubator artifacts and repositories
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:57:13 GMT
So as I see it, it comes down to a choice of having the user configure
his pom with either
1) an artifact id or group id or version id that includes "incubator" in it.
or
2) a repository id that include "incubator" in it.

#1 is what most projects do today.  It would be nice if they were more
consistent about how they include "incubator" in the artifact id.

If we go with #2 I think most podlings would like it better since they
can then avoid having incubator  in the artifact id.  This in turn
would mean there is less work when the podling needs to graduate since
dependent projects would not need to change artifact ids.

> The repository folks have thus far created several repositories:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository/
>   http://people.apache.org/repository/
>
> Other than filenames, which are meaningless when the artifacts are
> transparently downloaded by build tools, the contents of
> http://people.apache.org/repository/ makes no attempt to differentiate
> between artifacts (snapshots or otherwise) for official ASF projects,
> non-ASF projects, and Apache Incubator projects.
>
> The Incubator has consistently established clear guidelines that Incubator
> artifacts are supposed to require a deliberate, intentional, act of
> acceptance on the part of the user.  Adding a general ASF repository of
> mixed content does not satisfy that requirement, in my view.  I would be
> happier, I suppose, with a separate repository, e.g.,
> http://incubator.apache.org/repository, that clearly indicates the nature of
> its contents, and contains only Incubator artifacts.
>
> Opinions?  What do others feel?
>
> I am leaving orthogonal my view that it is entirely irresponsible to
> encourage or even condone the use of automatically downloaded artifacts
> without authenticating the content of those artifacts.
>
>         --- Noel
>
> cc: repository@, but discussion to be on general@incubator.apache.org

Regards,
Hiram