incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Project templates
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:32:57 GMT
Paul Fremantle wrote:

> What would be even more helpful would be a default Apache project
> setup, with a maven release target that builds a release in the
> right format.

I have no argument with someone providing such a template, but I would
strongly object to any implication that Maven was mandated.  We are not
going to endorse Maven as the official build tool for ASF Java projects.

> If the project structure started out with LICENSE, NOTICE, JAR targets
> that put those in META-INF, places to put auxiliary licenses, etc, and
> produced signatures, MD5s, etc from day 1, then podlings would be off
> to a great start.

Sure, and an Ant project shell can do all of that, too, probably sharing
most of the same artifacts as the Maven project shell.

	--- Noel