incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Incubator artifacts and repositories
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:37:24 GMT
The repository folks have thus far created several repositories:

  http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/
  http://www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository/
  http://people.apache.org/repository/

Other than filenames, which are meaningless when the artifacts are
transparently downloaded by build tools, the contents of
http://people.apache.org/repository/ makes no attempt to differentiate
between artifacts (snapshots or otherwise) for official ASF projects,
non-ASF projects, and Apache Incubator projects.

The Incubator has consistently established clear guidelines that Incubator
artifacts are supposed to require a deliberate, intentional, act of
acceptance on the part of the user.  Adding a general ASF repository of
mixed content does not satisfy that requirement, in my view.  I would be
happier, I suppose, with a separate repository, e.g.,
http://incubator.apache.org/repository, that clearly indicates the nature of
its contents, and contains only Incubator artifacts.

Opinions?  What do others feel?

I am leaving orthogonal my view that it is entirely irresponsible to
encourage or even condone the use of automatically downloaded artifacts
without authenticating the content of those artifacts.

	--- Noel

cc: repository@, but discussion to be on general@incubator.apache.org