incubator-general mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Heraldry Identity Project
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:54:58 GMT
Roy and others at Apache,

There are a few OASIS TCs that meet the requirements of Apache and
other FOSS projects with respect to implementability without fear of
royalty burden or patent reprisal.  The ability to do stipulate such
provisions was hard-fought at OASIS (first by Sun and later as a
result of the "Open Letter" sent around a year and a half ago by
Larry Rosen, which many of us signed...including Brian Behlendorf and
myself).  Standards put through OASIS are not automatically "safe"
for FOSS implementation.  OSI is planning to publish a definition
similar to the OSD to help developers quickly figure out which
standards are FOSS safe and which are not.  In the meantime I can
recommend OASIS XRI TC and OASIS ODF TC as two that are running
royalty free and with patent non-assert.

Danese