incubator-general mailing list archives

From Hani Suleiman <h...@formicary.net>
Subject Re: Various
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:36:49 GMT
Hi Leo,

On Jun 23, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> "The Apache projects are characterized by a collaborative,
> consensus based development process, an open and
> pragmatic software license, and a desire to create high quality
> software that leads the way in its field. We
> consider ourselves not simply a group of projects sharing a server,
> but rather a community of developers and
> users."
>
> Some of the keywords there relevant to this thread are "collaborative"
> and "community". We expect many simple things from each other such as
>
>   * showing respect for your peers
>   * making sure your e-mails to apache mailing lists are PG-13 and
>     preferably suitable for all ages
>   * not making unfounded assertions
>   * never "flaming" other people, especially not in public
>   * no trolling or flaming in general

Yep, and I think in every technical context (and by that I mean any
community I'm part of, whether it be the JCP, Opensymphony, a bunch
of java.net projects, and so on) I've always adhered to every single
one of these rules, or promptly apologised if I'd ever stepped over
the line. The only venue that's an exception to these rules of good
behaviour is my blog, and that will remain an exception.

I apologise if my email came off to harshly, that was certainly not
my intent. It was bourne out of frustration from (for the first time)
seeing people judge me based on a blog I write for fun, that is it in
any way tied or or relevant to what I do *professionally*.  Perhaps I
should have been clearer when I said 'technical', and made it obvious
that it's not just about the code, or how good (or bad) of a
developer I am, it's about how I function in mailing lists, how I am
towards people asking for help, and whether I play nice in whatever
ecosystem I'm in. ALL those to me count as professional environments,
where unprofessional behaviour will be weeded out very quickly.

The bileblog is what it is, and will remain what it is. My behavior
in other situations similar to the current one (ie, being part of a
community) is what should be under scrutiny, not what I choose to do
in my spare time.

Anyway, as flattering it is to be the subject of so much attention, I
think it's more worthwhile to instead focus on cxfire and question
its merit, than on some random committer who does weird things in his
spare time!