incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Recordon, David" <>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Heraldry Identity Project
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:54:07 GMT
This has obviously been something we've been looking at in order to do
our own due diligence on XRI IPR before being willing to contribute the
Yadis spec to be incorporated into XRI Resolution 2.0.  Drummond Reed
sent me the following email further explaining this issue and asked me
to forward it along to the list for him since he had not yet subscribed.

As we discussed with you in drafting the proposal, all members of the
OASIS XRI TC are fully prepared to sign the CCLA and any necessary
software grants required by the ASF. In fact the OASIS XRI TC is one of
the few OASIS TCs to have written the requirement into its charter for
its specifications to be 100% open, public, and royalty-free. Following
is the exact language from the XRI TC charter at

> In no event shall this Technical Committee finalize or approve any
> specification if it believes that the use, distribution, or
implementation of
> such specification would necessarily require the unauthorized
infringement of
> any third party rights known to the Technical Committee, and such
third party
> has not agreed to provide necessary license rights on perpetual,
> non-discriminatory terms.

As you know, I was personally involved not just in creating the patents
involved, but in subsequently seeing that they were contributed to a
non-profit public trust organization,, so that they could become
open, public, royalty-free standards. Complete details of the
contribution from to the OASIS XRI TC are on the TC IPR page at: The TC has already
spawned one open source project ( that uses the Apache
license (and whose code is already incorporated into other open source

I am copying my XRI TC co-chair, Gabe Wachob of Visa International, who
can further attest to the depth of our commitment that the XRI standards
would be 100% free and open and compatible with all open source