incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Recordon, David" <drecor...@verisign.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Heraldry Identity Project
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:59:46 GMT
Hi Ruchith,
I spoke with Davanum this afternoon at ApacheCon and he asked the same question.  Initially,
the code around the Yadis and OpenID protocols do not use any of the WS-* stack.  To be quite
honest, the requirements of WS-Trust is considered "heavier" than what this part of the community
is looking for.  This certainly isn't to say that we're not interested in re-using code within
the Apache community, we don't want to rewrite things for no reason. :)

If you haven't, you should take a look at the Higgins Project within Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/).
 They are working to implement an Open Source identity selector for both the browser and desktop.
 They've started with a FireFox browser extension as the selector and have integration with
Microsoft CardSpace working.  We'll be working with them in July to add support in Higgins
for the OpenID Protocol as well.

--David

________________________________

From: Ruchith Fernando [mailto:ruchith.fernando@gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 6/22/2006 6:13 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Heraldry Identity Project

Hi,

> Proposal
> ------------------
> This is a proposal to create a project within the Apache Software
> Foundation to develop technologies around the emerging user-centric
> identity space.
>
> The project would start with Yadis [1] for URL/XRI-based service
> discovery, OpenID [2] for web based single-sign-on and the basis of
> exchanging profile data, and to create a desktop component with a
> standard look and feel, ideally working with the Open Source Identity
> Selector (OSIS) [3] project.  We are currently working with those
> involved in the OSIS project to determine if it would be possible, and
> they willing, to integrate their effort as a part of this one.  If not,
> we still see the value of having a desktop component of this
> infrastructure.  The project would be tasked with the further
> development of these technologies as well as creating a bridge between
> the light-weight URL/XRI based identity technologies and the desktop.

Within the Apache Webservices project we are implementing WS-Security,
WS-SecureConversation WS-SecurityPolicy and WS-Trust specifications
(in Java, C and PHP) and we are also working our way towards
developing the infrastructure which will enable InfoCard
functionality.I'm wondering whether there are any plans of reusing any
of the available impls in the Heraldry/OSIS project?

Thanks,
Ruchith