incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Branding of Incubator projects
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:02:10 GMT

> I'm left very unclear about what is allowed in a press release and
> what isn't.  Examples might be helpful.  Based on my confusion, I
> also don't understand why a press release saying that project X is
> starting incubation with community members x1, x2, x3, etc would be
> undesirable as long is it makes the incubation status clear.

Personally, I think it's undesireable to have podlings sending out a
"hey, look at us" press releases just from the fact that it encourages
companies to use the incubator as a way to generate good press, as
opposed to as a way to build a useful self sustaining community.  Let
them wait until they've actually built a community and a product
before they do that sort of thing.  And no, before anyone asks, I
don't think not sending out a press release is likely to make it
harder to build that community.  The type of people who are useful
contributors are seldom the type who hear about these kind of things
from a press release.

-garrett